Rose adds the most intoxicating smell and flavour to any harissa, the floral overtones help soften the chilies and give it a romantic floral allure. Rose harissa tastes wonderful on just about everything from roasted veggies and eggs, to meat and cheese.
Here is a simple one bowl quick rose harissa. If you want to cheat, you can also add some dried rose petals and a little rose water to any supermarket harissa you have on hand.
- Tablespoon dried rose petals
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds, ground in a spice grinder
- 1 tablespoon pure chilie powder, such as ancho or ground dried chilies of your choice
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice or vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon rose water
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Pinch of sea salt salt (to taste)
- Fresh rose petals as a garnish
In a mortar and pestle or spice grinder place dried rose petals and caraway seeds and grind into a powder. Add remaining ingredients and mix together. Garnish with fresh rose petals.
Pasta with Rose Harissa and Parsley Blossoms
Rose harissa makes for a lovely and unique addition to any tomato sauce. The following recipe is a simplified riff on Ottolenghi’s ‘Pappardelle with Rose Harissa, Black olives and Capers. Feel free to use the pasta of your choice.
- 2 Ounces dry pasta per a person, boiled al dente in salted water
- ½ cup tomato sauce per a serving
- Rose Harissa (to taste but plan on roughy 1 teaspoon per a serving)
- Black olives, handful per a person
- 1 Tablespoons capers per serving (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley per a serving
- 1 Tablespoon yoghurt per a person (sour cream or heave cream may be substituted)
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Fresh rose petals to garnish
- Parsley blossoms as a garnish
Bring pasta to a boil in a pot of salted water. While pasta is cooking heat up tomato sauce in a pan and add rose harissa, olives, capers, yogurt and parsley. Once warm remove from heat and toss with pasta. Garnish with rose petals and parsley blossoms.